Tuesday, January 09, 2007

"Burning Mansions"

Spare me your lectures
your trivialized posing
snooty condescension
chi-chi descriptions
of the swanky parties
of bohemian millionaires,
Sedaris clown entertainment
snot-filled pastry dishes
white powder
trays of sandwiches
clinking wineglasses
at the benefit
for the African
tourist
flash photo taken with the guests
to show they're generous
progressives,
Saturday smiles of glowing teeth
boob jobs and face lifts.
They return home
comforting digs
million dollar
take off their ties and party dresses
to hand to the maid, head-bowed and silent
immigrant.
Then the Overdogs open
laid out on the mahogany end table
the neatly stacked envelopes
counting the profits
of their global investments
perfume-tinged
smelling of sanctity,
of the convent of their untouched
conscience.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having one of those facial treatments last month. And while waiting for my turn, I tried to engage myself with the gazettes
But I couldn't help overhearing these two girl friends talking to each other and my face went completely red. The first girl blurted, "you know what, I look at myself for a long time in the mirror each day, and I really appreciate what I see. Do you think I'm conceited?" The other gal smiled sweetly and said, "I think you're imaginative."

Anonymous said...

The idea of the "Global World" where borders matter less and less is not
just making those from so called "developing countries" go to the "1st world countries".
In fact there is a lot of a big appeal for people from all lines of work to move to
places like Coastal China near Hong Kong or Bali. Your eoru goes 3 times further
in places that may have more to offer than the "1st world".
So why aren't you on the next plane?

Anonymous said...

It can be challenging !
news
See you

Anonymous said...

Really like your site!

Anonymous said...

Pirelli






Anonymous said...

Just want to say that you have a really informative and amazing site.
Really helped me further, much thanks :-)