Saturday, February 12, 2005

New ULA Members

I want to announce three of the more recent recruits to the mad ULA cause:
-Patrick Simonelli;
-Leopold McGinniss;
-Bernice Mullins.

All are expected to play useful roles on the ULA team in coming months.

We have other candidates under review. Steve Kostecke and myself review possible candidates to become official ULAers. We look at many factors, including underground cred, rough agreement with our ideas, talent and personality, and the ability to play roles and find a quick place in the organization.

To all those waiting I can only say: Be patient. We'll be bringing more people in as this campaign goes along, at those times which will best benefit both the candidate and the organization. Or: we're not ready to grow any faster than we can keep up with. Other names will be added soon.

While in the future we'll have more bio information up on the www.literaryrevolution.com fan site, for now I'll invite new members (if they want!), to say a little on this blog about themselves and about their own ideas regarding the renewal of literature and the lit world. (We don't pretend our ideas are written in stone. One reason for us to bring in new people occasionally is to gain different perspectives on the problems with literature.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Bernice Mullins. I go to college, used to be an English major, but don't worry, I couldn't have afforded to get an MFA even if I'd wanted one. I stopped being an English major after I found out I had to read Beowulf again. It's the fifth time. I think that gives a lot of insight into why the lit. establishment is drowning in its own pomp. By the time you get your MFA you've read Beowulf ten times. All that medeival bullshit does something to a person's mind.
I made my first zine (but I didn't know that's what it was) when I was ten. It was five short horror stories stapled together. I chose that genre because at that time my favorite author was Stephen King, via my stay-at-home mom. Then my dad got me into Dickens (who I stll like) and Hawthorne (who I have since grown out of). I'm twenty-three now and I like Jean Rhys, Simone DeBeauvoir, absurdist plays, the two good Patrick McGrath novels (Spider and Asylum)Georges Bataille, and Charles Bukowski (novels and short stories). A poet visited the local state university and said, "Never date a man who reads Bukowski before bed." I vowed that day to only date men who do. I truthfully don't read enough poetry to really name any that i like. Lately, though, a couple Michael Estabrook zines showed up at my house, and he's very good.
I think the ULA is important to literature. Without a movement like the ULA, reading for advancement of ideas will stop. It will be reduced to the strict useless escapism of romance novels and serial sci-fi. The writing that is currently mass-marketed has been written by people who were taught to write in such a way that only another person who took those classes could possibly gather any enjoyment from it; and that only a kind of alumnist brotherhood, "Oh look. He took that tutorial on the Postmodern Suffering of the Imaginary Poor too. I think he sat behind me."
That's my name, what I read, and what pisses me off. Nice to meet you.

Anonymous said...

Emerson Dameron here, documented ULA supporter for the last few years. I came in contact with Karl and co. through zines, which I've read and reviewed for years. (I write for Zine World: A Reader's Guide to the Underground Press.) Any whiff of political activism usually makes me sleepy, but I grew sympathetic with the ULA after swapping missives with Karl, Michael Jackman and others - I realized our sensibilities were similar, and I enjoyed the racket they made. My greatest love is cacophonous rock music; writing with that energy, I find mainly in zines. Celine's Journey to the End of the Night stands as my favorite 20th Century novel. I also love Beckett and Borges, but they're impossible to imitate.