Friday, January 14, 2005

ULA News: Letter from the Zen Baby Federation

ULAer Christopher Robin-- zeenster, poet, story writer-- heads San Fran's Zen Baby Federation, which he uses to promote the best underground writers in the Bay area. We've started slowly merging the ZBF with the ULA-- further evidence that the ULA is building a network of undergrounders across the country. (And soon, in places like Britain.) An excerpt from a recent Chris Robin letter:

"--we're really kickin it up over here in Cali, Joe Pachinko's got a venue at a pizza place in Oakland, William Terry Jr is tearin it up at the Cool Beans in his new home of SF and me and Brian Morisey got the laundromat rockin every friday, indians, homeless people, trannies, beatboxers, old women, AND NO HIPSTERS! so if any ULAers are gonna tour through Cali, me and Joe will set you up in numerous places."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey King, this doesn't have to do with the post it's commented on, but it does have to do with literature in general.

I was down in Suffolk, Virginia (which is near Norfolk, Portsmouth, etc.) taking care of my brother's dog and his apartment and bills and whatever else. I'd go to the nearest mall occasionally (Chesapeake Square Mall) and browse through the book store. It was your typical Walden's. I was on a Russian literature kick, something that happens to me frequently, and I would go in there looking for the great Russians. I was dumbfounded to find out that they didn't have any of it in stock. It was one of the most strange things I've encountered, for even in the area of Columbus I live in they have a decent selection of great literature, and some of it foreign! I do think they had one copy of The Great Gatsby and maybe a couple Hemingway titles. But there were several copies of Philip Roth's alter-history, what if? thing. I read a little bit of it and it successfully changed my life.

Desmond

Anonymous said...

Whoa, sign me up! I might be needing some couches to crash on this spring, as I promote my novel on the Best Coast...

Off topic: I just watched Kurosawa's Seven Samurai again today, hadn't seen it in years. Should be required viewing for every ULA member/wannabe. A story of immense bravery against impossible odds, with unforgettable characters each bringing untold richness and depth to the story. A lot like the ULA. The Criterion Collection DVD is beautiful, much better than the old VHS copy I rented (and rented, and rented) from my local library back in the early 90s. Mifune steals the show, but all the acting is perfect. Essential.

Tim Hall

King Wenclas said...

I'll have to see it someday. "The Magnificent Seven" was an influence on my ideas, certainly-- maybe I identify with Yul Brynner in that just a tad. . . .

Anonymous said...

The Magnificent Seven never did that much for me. It's a passable remake of Seven Samurai, but pales compared to the original. See the original. Come here to beautiful Jersey City and watch it with me; it's 3 1/2 hours of absolute magnificence!