Thursday, March 21, 2013

“Ode to Global Warming” (Reprise)

The last time I spent a winter in Detroit, in ‘08-‘09, I penned the following poem. As I’ve frozen my ass off here this winter, I feel the poem is due for a repeat appearance.

***************************

Penguins and polar bears in the streets of Detroit;
Mountains of white, snowmen on skis;
The skaters on Woodward look like the Red Wings!
You tell me there's global warming.

Ice-covered windshields that won't defrost;
River is frozen, sun has got lost;
Thermal underwear rising in cost!
Now you tell me there's global warming.

Oh bring back the sweat and the melt and the heat,
Rising temperature, 100 degrees;
So we can take off our coats and our shoes,
and snuggle our feet
in the burning hot sands of the closest beach!
Bring back to us global warming;
Oh, yeah, global warming,
Yes we must have again global warming!

No comments: