Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Interview with a Philadelphia Novelist

This is a slightly edited version of a conversation I had with independent Philadelphia author Lawrence Richette about his latest novel, The Abyss.

1.) How much research did you do about hospital administration and about mental illness?

LR: "These are two areas I have personal experience of. I didn't have to do actual research. I was told the book was very accurate by a doctor."

2.) Do you see a parallel between artists and novelists? Or: Can medication used to calm personality at the same time hinder art? Doesn't the artist require pain?

LR: "If you're asking about the novel, I'd say the question is open. We don't know if his" (the character's) "paintings are any good! No one reliable tells us the paintings are any good. Gillian" (the psychiatrist) "didn't like one of his paintings."
"-- I think anti-depressants are dangerous. They create a false mood. They mask real emotions."
(King: Something used to correct a chemical imbalance?)
LR: "Doesn't work the same way. With anti-depressants they're trying to create an optimum level of feeling. Which no one knows what that is. It's a losing game."
(King: Who's your favorite artist?)
LR: "Matisse in the 20th century. Bonnard, obviously."

3.) Your books always have a great sense of place-- of Philadelphia. Is this an inspiring city to create in? How does it rank in your opinion with Paris, San Francisco, and other acclaimed literary cities?

LR: "It's inspiring for me because no one's really written about it. Philadelphia is virgin territory. Its civic culture has its own special feeling, like San Francisco. New York and Paris are world cities, so you can't compare them. Philadelphia's somewhat conventional but not stiflingly so."
"I'm trying to create a regional literature, focused on this region. I like to walk around and look at things. I don't drive that much. I see things at street level. Literature of the suburbs is impoverished because you don't have that intimate connection that you do with a city. Suburbs are so generic. Philadelphia is so compact, you can move from one world to another world in the space of a few blocks. Go ten blocks and you see all these different sub-cultures, which is wonderful for a writer."

4.) How discouraging is it that local media ignores hometown literary talents unless they're toothless or have been given the brand of approval by New York?

LR: "I used to find it more disccouraging than I do now. I'm used to being ignored. Philadelphia has a provincial attitude and doesn't trust its own taste. It looks for approval from New York. The most mediocre novel by John Updike automatically gets more attention than anything by a local writer. People in Philadelphia need to trust their own taste more, not depend on the tastemakers in New York. The local media is falling down on its duty to discover the best local talent. They should be ashamed of themselves."

5.) What novelist do you consider yourself closest to?

LR: "Norman Mailer, with his The Deer Park."

6.) What's the future of the novel?

LR: "It has a future. It's up to my generation of novelists to reclaim the novel. It's why I'm disappointed with my contemporaries. The only contemporary novelist I admire without reservation is Bret Ellis. And he hasn't published much lately. But he has the ambition a large-scale project requires."

7.) Back to your book: Are men and women hopelessly mysterious animals to one another?

LR: "Yes."

Thanks Larry!

Larry Richette will be reading at Philly's Center City Barnes & Noble on March 7th. I challenge Karen Heller and other local media types be in attendance. (That's not my usual kind of hangout, but I hope to be in the audience.)

4 comments:

King Wenclas said...

p.s. The reading is at 7 pm. Stop in to say hi if you're in the area.

Anonymous said...

Okay, this is pretty tangential... but the artist-writer comment sort of struck me. I guess it isn't tremendously important, but as a person who both writes and draws (more the former than the latter, but still), this whole notion that writing is writing and visual art is art has always frustrated me. When people ask me during those late night conversations how I see myself, I just want to say artist... but I don't want them to think that means I'm a painter. You know? Artist and writer? But writing is art. That's totally how I see it. It's another form than visual work and it means something different and it also means more to me... but it still is art.
Like I said, I guess this isn't that important of a distinction... and I'm not into quibbling over terms, but something about it has always made me anxious.
P.S. As I look into moving to Philly, as I think I want to do, thanks for answering the question for me of who Philly's writers are. I never would have imagined that there really aren't many. Are there are any great historical books about Philly?

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may begin to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures around the world.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I began to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I earn US$2,000 per day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://yvahuguw.virtue.nu/jucorofu.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very curious to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no initial capital needed.
You may commense earning with a money that usually is spent
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit my pages and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]